Minutes Ubley Parish Council 8th March 2018

Draft Minutes of the meeting of Ubley Parish Council held on Thursday, 8th  March 2018

 

 

Present: Councillors: Hallam (Chairman), Collins (Vice-chairman), Haley, Moore and Thompson.

Clerk: Mrs H Collins 

District Councillor: Vic Pritchard

 

 

 

  1. To receive and accept apologies for absence

        Apologies: Cllrs Cole and Holt. Received and accepted.  

                            

 

2)    To receive declaration of interest in the agenda

  None reported.

 

 

 

 

3)    Open session to receive comments from the public

No parishioners were present at the meeting.

However a parishioner had reported concerns to Cllr Collins about the welfare of sheep in a field behind Walnut Tree Close in the recent bad weather.

 

 

 

 

The same parishioner had also reported concerns about the drain at the end of Walnut Tree Close flooding.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Chair and Vice Chair agreed to keep an eye out – but the sheep have since been moved

 

 

Following the next heavy rainfall, a map to be produced of the drains that are still flooding and send it to Jim McEwan in B&NES. Action to be coordinated by the Chairman.

 

4)   To approve and sign the minutes of the previous meeting held on 1st February

The minutes and the Financial Statement attached to it were approved and signed. The actions from those minutes were gone through to ensure that they had been done or were in the process of being done. 

 

Cllr Collins had had some difficulties in contacting Curo, but a meeting has now been set up for Friday 9th March. There is a possibility of the Parish Council taking over the management of the green space to the north of Innicks Close. 

 

Councillors confirmed that whatever site was found for a children’s play-area, it would be for those up to six years of age only with age-appropriate play equipment.

 

Guidance had been obtained from ALCA around pre-planning advice for parishioners. A Parish Council can listen to a parishioner but is advised not to pass comment. Parishioners have access to a pre-planning process through B&NES, but this does incur a cost.

 

The Clerk had contacted B&NES again about the rubbish on the two lay-bys on the A368 and asked that bins be re-instated on both sites. She reported that the rubbish had been cleared. The Chairman then reported that B&NES are no longer replacing lost or damaged bins, though they will collect waste bags from a given site within the village.

 

 

 

 

 

The Chairman had spoken with the landowner about the overgrown hedges in Tuckers lane. These have not been cut back because they are going to be laid “soon”.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Cllrs Hallam and Collins to meet with Curo

 

 

Cllrs Hallam and Collins to continue to liaise re progress on this project.

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Parish Council to buy two waste bins for the lay-bys. The CIL money could be used for this, as it has to be used for an infrastructure project.

 

 

 

  1. Clerk’s report/correspondence: To discuss and approve further actions where needed:

 

  1. Website restructure

The Clerk and Cllr Collins had met with Cllr Haley to discuss the setting up of a Community page on the Parish website. Cllr Haley is in the process of re-structuring the website first and in the meantime, Cllr Collins can add messages to the front page as necessary.

 

  1. Council subsidised loans to homeowners for essential home repairs

District Councillor Pritchard was able to confirm that B&NES does have a connection with Wessex Resolutions C.I.C. who provide the above service. 

 

 

 

 

 

  1. Centenary of Armistice at the end of World War 1

An email had been received from the Senior Arts development Officer for B&NES asking what we were doing to mark the centenary of the Armistice at the end of World War 1. There is information about what is happening nationally and the Parish Council could link into that or set up its own events.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The following were discussed, having been received after the first agenda had gone out and the postponement of the March meeting.

 

  1. Mission-led bank.

An email had been received about this and circulated among the Cllrs. They were unanimous in feeling that this was not within the remit of the Parish Council. However, in view of the branch of NatWest in Chew Magna closing and the push towards online banking, the Parish Council will be looking to change their banking arrangements.

 

  1. Ethical Standards.

The Committee on Standards in Public Life is undertaking a review of local government ethical standards. This is to close on May 18th.

 

 

 

  1. Recycling Centre.

The Recycling centre at Old Welton, Wheelers Hill, Midsomer Norton is to close from Monday April 16 to Sunday April 29. This is to carry out essential health and safety work.

 

 

 

  1. GDPR

An email had been received from the Parish Hall Committee about this subject, asking for any information.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Cllr Moore to take this information to The Link. The information to also be put out on the website.

 

 

The Chairman to speak to the PCC to see what the Church is doing and Cllr Moore to contact the bell-ringers to see if they could re-convene for this special occasion.

The Clerk to contact the school to see what they are doing.

 

 

 

 

 

The Clerk to investigate alternative banking arrangements.

 

 

 

The Clerk to follow the link to the documentation, and feedback to Cllrs. 

 

 

The Clerk to put this information in the Short Report, on the noticeboards and the website.

 

 

The Clerk to reply, confirming that we are awaiting more definite information.

  1. To receive an update on Highways issues, speed limits and signposts

 

Flooding:

 

  1. Tuckers Lane.

A working party had uncovered a section of broken pipe. B&NES will donate a section of pipe and the means to reconnect it. It may be necessary to reconvene a small working party to complete the renovations.

 

  1. Old Manor.

Roots have been cleared and debris removed. However, the water levels there are high and so the situation will be kept under review.

 

  1. Innicks Close.

The Chairman hasspokento therelevant landowners, though it is unclear which of them owns the ditch in question. They have agreed to have a working party clear the ditch. This may be best done in summertime and could be combined with work on removing the Himalayan Balsam in the same area.

It may also be possible to dig a ditch going east for 30-40 metres to join the stream. This would need to be on gradient if it is to flow properly and would need to be done by the landowner, possibly in connection with B&NES. This will be reviewed after the initial work has been done.

 

Stiles and fingerposts:

 

The Chairman has met with Sheila Petherbridge from B&NES. She had identified 3 stiles that needed replacing. This can be done at no cost to the Parish Council, so long as the landowner agrees. In discussion, the Parish Council identified another stile that was in need of replacement.

Sheila had also agreed to replace old, metal footpath signs with wooden ones.

 

 

 

 

Councillors agreed that the kissing gate in the hedge on the opposite side of the road from the garage should be signed, as walkers are still using the old stile.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Cllrs Hallam, Collins and Moore volunteered for the working party to clear the ditch.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Chairman to speak with the landowner about the previously identified sites and to Sheila again about the newly-identified site.

  1. To receive an update from the Police/Neighbourhood Watch

No specific update had been received from the Police but a report had been presented at the Chew Valley Forum on 26th February. (See below)

 

Cllr Thompson gave an update from the Neighbourhood Watch.

There have been a number of thefts from sheds and a pair of gates have been stolen from a property in Nempnett Thrubwell, during daylight hours. The public are asked to be wary of “cold callers” who may be offering to do gardening or to lay tarmac.

 

 

  1. To receive an update from District Councillor Vic Pritchard

District Councillor Pritchard reviewed the Council’s financial situation and stated that the cuts to staffing levels were underway. Operational management should have been decreased by the end of April and the restructuring completed by the end of the year.

The Community Empowerment Fund and the Members’ allowance have both ceased.

 

The CCG had an open consultation regarding IVF which ended in January and following an extra-ordinary meeting have revised their position as a result of the input that they had received. IVF will be offered to those aged 37 and under.

 

 

 

 

  1. Trustee Status. To receive an update.

 

The working party needs to look further at how the arrangements were set up and how the land, on which the Hall stands, was acquired. They also need to clarify the position with the Charities Commission. Relevant documentation needs to be collated/consolidated.

 

 

 

 

The working party to initially collate the relevant documentation.

 

 

 

 

 

  1. Finances

 

a)  Financial statement 

The financial statement was shared with the Council. 

 

b)  To confirm payments and signing of cheques (see financial statement)

The Council confirmed the payment of the cheques noted in the financial statement and the cheques were duly signed at the end of the meeting. 

 

 

  1. Defibrillator: To receive an update  

The Clerk confirmed to the Parish Council that Cllr Holt is continuing to work on amending the sign.

 

 

 

 

12)  Planning

 

  1. To receive updates on The Village Plan/Place-making Plan/CVNP

Cllr Collins had attended a meeting on 6th March regarding the Joint Spatial Plan, Local Plan and HELAA. 140 potential sites will be published by B&NES in the next few weeks for Parish Councils to look at. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

In the absence of Cllr Holt, the Clerk read out her report from the CVNP meeting held on 19th February. The facilitator of this meeting will take comments made back to B&NES.

 

 

 

 

  1. Strategic Road Network Consultation. To ratify the Parish Council’s response to this consultation

Cllr Collins had looked at the Consultation document and felt that it was outside the remit of the Parish Council. This information had been circulated to all Cllrs and they were all in agreement.

 

  1. Other planning:  To ratify the Council’s decision on the two applications below:

 

18/00398/FUL   Woodbridge Farm Bickfield Lane

 

18/00514/FUL  Woodbridge Farm Bickfield Lane 

 

The Cllrs were unanimous in their ratification of the decision made on these two applications (that the Council had no objections)

 

 

 

 

 

 

Cllr Collins to circulate notes and slides from the meeting.

 

Ubley Parish Council to comment as necessary.

 

The minutes of the CVNP meeting and associated paperwork to be put into the Circulation Folder.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  1. Sweeper.

 

The Chairman reported on the Sweeper Working group meeting. This had now become a case of managing the change as it is almost certain that B&NES will not have a budget for it after the current year.

 

 

 

This to be discussed further at the May meeting of the Parish Council.

  1. Phone Box.

Nothing to report. This item to be removed from future agenda.

 

 

 

 

  1.   To receive an update on the Parish Hall

The Blagdon Rainbows, who use the Hall on Saturday mornings, are 

requesting the use of part of the Amenity Area to form a garden. Various concerns were raised about the siting and composition of any such garden. Also, the issue was raised of who would maintain it when the Rainbows were not meeting.

 

The Clerk reminded the Parish Council that with the retirement of Cllr Weiss no one was maintaining the flower tubs at the front of the Hall.

 

 

 

 

Work on the WiFi within the Hall is continuing. The Hall and Bar are about to be re-decorated.

 

The Chairman to discuss this issue with Steve Blanchard.

 

 

A request for a volunteer to maintain the tubs to be put in the Short Report.

  1. To receive reports from Councillors who have attended meetings or training sessions:

 

  1. Chew Valley Forum, 26th February, Cllr Collins and Clerk

 

The Clerk and Cllr Collins fed back from this meeting, which had focused on Affordable Housing. In the year 2016/17 only 28 properties had been re-let in the forum area. Those wishing to apply for affordable housing should register with Homesearch. The meeting on May 24th will focus on Health and Well-being and the one on 23rd July will be attended by Sue Mountstevens and focus on policing and crime. Resource information from these meetings to be put onto the Community webpage, once it has been set up.

 

 

 

 

  1. Parish Liaison Meeting, 28th February, Chairman

Library provision had been discussed. A library is to be set up in Bishop Sutton Chapel and there may also be one set up in Chew Valley School. The Community Infrastucture Levy (CIL) was discussed.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Request for Speedwatch volunteers and date of next Chew Valley Forum to be put into the Short Report. The Police report to be put into the Circulation Folder.

 

 

 

The Chairman to circulate information re CIL to Cllrs.

  1. To confirm the date of the next meetings

 

The next meetings will be held on Thursday 19th April (Annual Parish Meeting) and 10th May (Annual General Meeting) 2018 

 

             Chairman: Wesley Hallam Tel: 01761 463509

Clerk: Mrs Hilary Collins Tel: 01761 462294

Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

 

 

 

Appendix 1 – Recent Police report 

Police Report for Chew Valley Connecting Communities Meeting Monday 26th February 2018 

Crime figure comparison for Chew Valley 

Offence

05/12/2017 – 20/02/2018

05/12/2016 – 20/02/2017

Theft and handling 

9

12

Dwelling/non-dwelling burglary

6 (3/3)

10 (3/7)

Violence against the person

14

19

Criminal damage

6

2

Arson

0

0

Robbery

0

1

Drugs

0

0

 

The crime statistics above are for the period since the last Connecting Communities meeting.  A comparison with the same time period in 2016/2017 has been provided.

Theft and handling offences

This includes 4 thefts from vehicles and 2 unauthorised taking of vehicle.

Dwelling and non-dwelling burglaries 

Out of the 3 dwelling burglaries during this period, a possible suspect has been identified for one and the investigation is ongoing.

Violence against the person offences 

This category includes offences from low level public order (shouting and swearing), physical assaults (usually minor), neighbourhood issues, ASB, domestic incidents and road rage incidents.  

 

 

Drugs

There have been very few identified issues with drugs in the last couple of years.  It is hoped that this is due to the fact that there are few drugs issues in the area but may also be linked to the strain on resources and the fact that there are less opportunities for proactive patrols.

Local police are aware of the issues with NOS use and are patrolling the areas where young people are likely to gather to use this.

Summary

We are working hard to maintain a visible police presence in the Chew Valley and surrounding areas.  We continue to encourage members of the community to contact their Neighbourhood Watch co-ordinators or the police to report any suspicious activity.  We rely on intelligence and information from those around us to assist in keeping our communities safe.  

Other news from the beat

We are interested in starting a Chew Valley Community Speed Watch Scheme, as we are aware that there are areas within Chew Valley where speeding is an issue.  We hope to gather a large group of volunteers to assist with watches throughout the area.  The hope is that with a large group of volunteers, we will be able to maintain a regular watch and we can provide a large community effort across the whole Valley and not just individual villages.

If anyone is interested, please contact PC 4343 Gemma LINDOW. 

Beat Officers for Chew Valley and surrounding areas

PC 4343 Gemma LINDOW – Beat Manager

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

07889656297 (temporarily out of use)

 

PC 3455 Stuart PEARD – Beat Manager

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

07889656337

 

PCSO 8079 Martyn BRAGG – Police Community Support Officer

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

07889656671

 

PCSO 7315 David HOLMES – Police Community Support Officer 

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

07889656703

 

CSO 7752 Kate Humphreys – Police Community Support Officer

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

07889656685

 

The above contacts are for information and non-urgent enquiries only.  If officers are on rest days, leave or sick there may be a delay in responding.

 

If you wish to report an incident or a crime or need to speak to a Police Officer you should contact 101.

For all emergencies call 999

Appendix 2 – Financial report

Financial Statement as at 8th  March 2018

  1. Current A/C Balance.

B/f from last month   (28/02/18):                 £ 3,975

   Less payments to be agreed at Parish Council Meeting (8/03/18): -£    736

                  Less ring-fenced money for defibrillator -£    300

                  Less ring-fenced money for CIL -£    836

------- -------

Total £ 2,103

 

  1. Reserve A/C Balance is:                    £ 4,541

----------------

Total present funds balance                   £ 6,644

Note: Above figures have been rounded to whole pounds.

 

Details of the cheques:

Cheque payments to be agreed at Parish Council Meeting (8/03/18):                                                            

Date

Cheque number

Amount

Description

8.03.18

001302

£227.53

Hilary Collins

Clerk’s Salary

8.03.18

001303

£242.00

Ken Jones

Sweeper salary

8.03.18

001304

£110.24

Tim Haley

Website annual charge

8.03.18

001305

£29.99

Phil Collins

Laptop security renewal

8.03.18

001306

£40.00

Tim Baker

Ground Maintenance

8.03.18

001307

£56.59

NALC and ALCA

Annual subscriptions

8.03.18

001308

£30.00

Ubley Parish Hall

Community room rent

Prepared by Hilary Collins, Clerk and RFO on 8th March 2018