Minutes Ubley Parish Council 1st Feb 2018

Draft Minutes of the meeting of Ubley Parish Council held on Thursday, 1st  February 2018



Present: Councillors: Hallam (Chairman), Collins (Vice-chairman), Cole and Haley.

Clerk: Mrs H Collins 




  1. To receive and accept apologies for absence

        Apologies: Cllrs Holt, Moore and Thompson. Received and accepted.  

                            Also Gemma Lindow and District Councillor: Vic Pritchard



2)    To receive declaration of interest in the agenda

  None reported.





3)    Open session to receive comments from the public

No parishioners were present at the meeting.



4)   To approve and sign the minutes of the previous meeting held on 4th January

The minutes and the Financial Statement attached to it were approved and signed. The actions from those minutes were gone through to ensure that they had been done or were in the process of being done. 


Cllr Collins had contacted Curo, who own the green space on the North side of Innicks Close. He is hoping to set up a meeting with their Public Engagement Director.



Sheila Petherbridge from B&NES has looked at the stiles within the village that may need replacing. A sign is needed to direct walkers to the kissing gate opposite Ubley Garage, as this is not being used and walkers are still trying to get over the old overgrown stile.



  1. Cllr Collins and the Clerk will attend the Chew Valley Forum on the 26th February.








Cllrs Hallam and Collins to liaise re progress on this project.


Cllr Hallam to ring Sheila to discuss these issues further.


  1. Clerk’s report/correspondence: To discuss and approve further actions where needed:


  1. Dial a ride grant application

Unanimous decision to approve a grant of £50.





    1. Brain Tumour grant

Unanimous decision not to approve a grant, as this would set a precedent, but to display event information.



    1. Hedges in Tuckers Lane

An email had been received about the overgrowth of hedges in Tucker’s Lane.




d). Rubbish in lay-bys on A368

This is an ongoing issue and an email had been received from a parishioner about this and the lack of rubbish bins







e). Increase in ground maintenance fees and request for bank transfer

A letter had been received from Tim Baker informing the Parish Council of an increase in cost of ground maintenance in the Churchyard and also whether the Council could pay by Bank Transfer instead of cheques. There has also been another invoice for an extra cut of the school playing field.


Cllrs were unanimous in agreeing the increase in costs. However, the invoice for the additional cut needed clarification and the use of bank transfers is not possible currently.




f). Correspondence

Information had also been received from a company looking at a competition to fund a large piece of art work locally. Cllrs were unanimous in deciding that this was not suitable for Ubley as the art works would be out of scale for a small village.






The Clerk to include information about this service in the Short Report



The Clerk to liaise with the charity to this effect.



Cllr Hallam to discuss this with the landowner.




The Clerk to ask B&NES to re-instate the bins on both lay-bys and ensure that they are emptied regularly.





The Clerk to write to Mr Baker to agree the price increase and to clarify the invoice. Also, to say that the Council will be continuing to use cheques at present.

6) To receive an update on Highways issues, speed limits and signposts

 Please see sections 4 and 5 above re progress on these issues.


  1. To receive an update from the Police/Neighbourhood Watch

No updates had been received from the Police or Neighbourhood watch.








  1. To receive an update from District Councillor Vic Pritchard

No update had been received.



  1. GDPR.    To discuss proposals for the Data Protection Officer for Ubley Parish Council

Information had been received from ALCA about this issue advising that no action be taken by the Parish Council at present. NALC is continuing to work on getting more information from the Government.



Information from ALCA and from possible data Protection Officers to be included in the Circulation Folder.


  1. Flooding.  Innicks Close, the stream opposite the school and Tuckers Lane
    1. To debate this problem in light of recent flooding and the Chairman’s report on progress with B&NES. (The report will be attached to the minutes as Appendix 1)


  1. Should the stream/culvert opposite the school flood again then the Chairman will speak to the landowner.



  1. The Chairman updated Cllrs on this issue as per his report. The Chairman will be part of a working party to check the pipes around Tuckers lane on Saturday 4th February.


  1. The blockage point needs digging out and possibly another drain installing. The Chairman has spoken to one of the landowners concerned.




Chairman’s report to be included in the Circulation Folder and a shortened version to be included in the Short Report.






The Chairman to speak with the other landowner and set up a working party to clear the ditch as necessary.

  1. Trustee Status. To receive an update

Cllrs understanding of the Parish Council’s position is that they have responsibility for the Amenity Area and the car park.  Is there any evidence as to why the Parish Council has responsibility for these areas? Are there any guidelines for the Parish Hall’s usage of these areas?




A working party to be set up to clarify these issues. Comprising Cllrs Hallam, Haley and Moore.


  1. Transparency.    To compile a list of the jobs of each Cllr for publication on the website.

The Clerk explained that this was needed to comply with the Transparency Code and to allow parishioners to know which Cllr to contact on certain issues.




The Clerk to compile a list and check this with Cllrs before it is put up on the website.

  1.   Finances


a)  Financial statement 

The financial statement was shared with the Council. 


b)  To confirm payments and signing of cheques (see financial statement)

The Council confirmed the payment of the cheques noted in the financial statement and the cheques were duly signed at the end of the meeting. 


c)  Ratify payment to PCC of £250 as further donation towards the pruning of the copper beech tree

               This payment was ratified by the Cllrs present.


















  1.   Defibrillator: To receive an update.

Cllr Holt is organising the amendment to the signage, to direct users to ask for the ambulance service when they ring 999.



15)   Planning


  1. To receive updates on The Village Plan/Place-making Plan/CVNP

Cllr Holt will be attending a meeting of the CVNP steering group on 19th February. No parishioners have come forward to be another representative from Ubley on this group as yet.


  1. Strategic Road Network Consultation. To discuss and decide the Parish Council’s response to this consultation

The Consultation information has only just been received, even though the opening date was the 13th December 2017.  The closing date is 7th February.





c) Consultations.  Ratify the Parish Council’s responses to each:

      1. Joint Spatial Plan and Local Plan
      2. Airport Consultation (and possibility of joining the Parish Councils Airport Association)    
      3. Bus service consultation
      4. Ward Boundary     

Cllr Collins confirmed that responses had been submitted regarding all the above Consultations and Cllrs confirmed that they had seen the responses and were able to ratify them.


Cllr Collins headed a discussion on the pros and cons of joining the PCAA. A unanimous decision was made that Ubley Parish Council should join for one year and then review their position in light of the ability to contribute positively versus cost of subscription.



d)  18/00398/FUL   Woodbridge Farm, Bickfield Lane

The above planning application had been received after the agenda was written but a reply is required by 20th February. 










A request had also been received regarding the possibility of pre-planning guidance from a parishioner before the re-submission of an application.













Cllr Collins to look at this consultation and circulate his findings to the other Cllrs.













Cllr Collins to liaise with the PCAA to this effect





Cllr Collins to circulate information to Cllrs re this application and contact the Clerk as necessary should an extension be required.




Cllr Collins to contact ALCA to ask for advice.

  1. Sweeper.

The Clerk confirmed that additional waste bags had been ordered for the sweeper as requested.



  1. Phone box. 

Nothing to report.





  1. To receive an update on the Parish Hall.


Cllr Haley had been unable to attend the last meeting of the Parish Hall Committee but from the previous meeting was able to confirm that the Clerk could use more of the noticeboard just outside the hall if necessary, within reason. The Hall Committee are looking to replace the drapes that are used to decorate the Hall for private functions and are re-decorating during half-term. There will be  “Ubley Publey” style events during the Six Nations Rugby. 


Cllr Haley also said that the Parish Hall Committee have an internet bank account and it may be useful for the Parish Council to consider something similar in the light of the closure of the Nat West branch in Chew Magna and the recent request for payment via Bank Transfer. The Clerk confirmed that some Parish Councils already use internet banking.




19)  To receive reports from Councillors who have attended meetings or training sessions

No training sessions or meetings had been attended since the Parish Council meeting in January.





  1. To confirm the date of the next meetings


The next meeting will be held on Thursday 1st March 2018 


             Chairman: Wesley Hallam Tel: 01761 463509

Clerk: Mrs Hilary Collins Tel: 01761 462294

Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.